Friday 11 April 2014

My Favouritest Novel: "Of The Dark" - First Draft

Her Grace thinks
Richard Armitage
would play a good Mor-Lath.
Seventeen-year-old me had read lots and lots of books. I'd started developing a (secret) penchant for Epic Fantasy and Historical Romance. I still read mysteries and Sci-Fi and pretty much anything I could lay my hands on, but Fantasy really snagged my imagination.

But with every Fantasy novel I read, the characters/plot/author went one way when I wanted them to go another.

I gathered all those Roads Less Travelled and fomented them into a pretty good plot that satisfied my soul to its farthest corners.

Thus, I came up with "Of The Dark".

What do you do when the God of the Dark proposes marriage? Say no, of course.

Adrastea Healer is a good girl who walks in the Light. So why is Mor-Lath, God of the Dark interested in her?  Can't be for any benevolent reason. Thus, she refuses his proposal.

But can one really say no to a god?

Originally I planned OTD to be a single standalone novel.  However, as I developed the plot, I realised its three Acts were rather large in scope.  Ah well.  Fantasies were heading the way of Trilogies and Serials.  It took me a couple of years to finish the first draft. Then I put it aside as new ideas caught hold of my imagination.

Eventually, I kept coming back to OTD. More on further drafts later.

____________________
Her Grace quite enjoys this novel.  It sings to her soul.  Her Beta readers are of violently mixed reactions.  Sooner or later, one of them will lynch her, but for varying reasons.

No comments: