Thursday 7 August 2014

Quilted Randomosity

I love to quilt. I've finally stuck my One Block Wonder onto quilting frames. They take up my whole office. I've made about a dozen quilts in my life, and I've still much to learn.

The other day I came across this Pixel Portrait Quilt by novice quilter LauraLynn:

Yes, that's our favourite Loki, Tom Hiddleston, portrayed in 40,000 carefully selected and pieced together squares of fabric.

Things that absolutely amaze me:

  • What a Pixel Portrait Quilt! It's absolutely stunning! I do not have enough exclamation marks to portray just how amazing this quilt is!  (Here's a few more for emphasis:  !!!!!!!)
  • The detail is amazing. The background is full of Shakespeare quotes.
  • This was LauraLynn's first quilt.  Her. First. Quilt.  Forget about the usual Nine-Patch. This is a Nine-Patch times 4445 times. Did I mention I am in awe?
  • She used more than 150 different types of fabric. I don't know if I've ever owned that many, much less all at once.
  • There's a program out there that'll pixellate and plot out a quilt like this for you. (Not sure if this is covered by Rule 34j: if it exists, there's an app for it, or Rule 43: if you look hard enough, you can find anything on the Internet.)

Oh, how I'd love to give a go at a Richard Armitage Pixel Portrait Quilt.  But 1) I don't have the time and 2) I don't know how the Real Life Husband would take me snuggling up with the Celebrity Boyfriend on the bed.

Meanwhile, I'll go back to quilting my One Block Wonder Hexagonal Kalideoscope. Between the two jobs and the three degrees and the full family, it's gonna take me a while.

_____________________
Her Grace presents the following quilting facts to you: all quilt patterns have names like "Log Cabin" and "Sea Ways" and "Crazy Quilt" and "Wedding Ring". Not all quilts are beautiful.  Some are downright fugly. There's a quilting technique called "Stitch in the Ditch" or "Ditch Stitching". I can't recall ever having used it. Want to make a quilt super fast? Tie one. Take two flat sheets, whack some batting in between, then at six inch intervals, take a stitch with yarn.  Tie the loose ends.  You could whack one of these out in an hour or two.

No comments: