Friday 16 January 2015

Beauty in Poetry

I've got such a romantic heart. I'm a sucker for poetry, even when it's not April.
Lord Byron, the original emo.

"She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies."

Tell me this isn’t one of the world’s most beautiful poems. Go read the rest of it, and imagine yourself on a Regency balcony under a starry sky with the scent of roses wafting on the gentle summer breeze. Ah, Byron, you darkly romantic soul, you.

I also love Fire and Ice by Robert Frost:

"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."

________________________
Her Grace would like to hear some of your favourite poetry.

No comments: