Thursday 2 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: Backstage at BREC

A few weeks ago I performed at the Bunbury Regional Entertainment Centre.

My most favourite place in the world is a backstage, standing in the wings, just before going onstage. Naturally, I took a few moments to enjoy the ambience before I went onstage.

Backstage at BREC, they have a fish tank.

A fish tank! Backstage! Cool!


I've seen lots of things backstage of many a theatre, but this was the first time I saw a fish tank.

Had a chat with one of the stage hands. This fish tank was their little corner of Zen, a bit of peace in what is normally a fraught zone of impatience and nerves. "It has a calming effect," the stage hand explained. Sure, it was a bit of hard work, and sometimes it took up real estate that could have been put to better use, but nobody wanted to get rid of it. Also, unlike the theatre cat, fish didn't go wandering across the stage during a performance.

I'm glad it was there. I took a moment of peace from it.

I don't know when I'll ever get back to BREC, as we usually perform at ManPAC. But if I do, I'm looking forward to seeing those fish again. Friendly little fellows who enjoyed coming out to say hello.

_____________________________
Her Grace loves the mystery and history of a backstage.

No comments: