Monday 4 April 2016

Characters

Characters are the people who inhabit a book. I like my characters motivated to change their lives, to take charge of their destiny. It's their journey I enjoy reading about.

I dislike characters who are so flawed they can't be proactive--those reactive or complacent characters that don't seem to improve their lot at all. I just wanna scream at them: "Stop being stupid! Can't you see how X is bad? Stop wallowing in your own misery and do something about it!"

I especially hate Unhappily Ever Afters that happen because a character didn't do anything to change the course of events.

Also, feisty is not the same as proactive. Feisty's just a combination of pride and a lack of focus. Feisty heroines just don't do it for me at all.

Today's Questions: What do you want to see in a character? What annoys you the most?

________________________________
Her Grace insists her characters have a plan.

No comments: