Saturday 16 April 2016

New Books

Onderwijsgek loves a new book.
There is a certain thrill I get when I see a new book out by an author I enjoy. I go all fangirly and I must have it.

'New' doesn't necessarily mean recently published. If I've discovered an author who's been around for yonks, read everything of theirs I could find, and then something else of theirs shows up--a previously unknown series--that's just as good as if they'd newly published something.

Rather, it's a blend of something new with something old. I know and love certain authors. They're familiar and comforting. So when they have something new come out, I have a pretty good idea what I can expect. But it's a new story taking me to new places in the company of someone I know. A literary road trip with friends.

I don't feel the same when I see a book by an author I haven't read, even if it's a book with themes I adore. It's like I'm a bit skeptical until I can meet the author's work and fall in love.

Then the second book? Squee.

Question: What makes you get excited over a new book?

_______________________________
Her Grace used to feel like this over every book she's never read. But now she's settling in her old age and her tastes are refining and defining themselves.

1 comment:

Celia Reaves said...

People invented the term "binge watching " to describe soaking up a TV series as quickly as possible, but we readers have been doing that with book series forever!