Monday 2 May 2016

& (Ampersand)

Looks like a treble clef sometimes.
I love how the English alphabet once considered the stylish ampersand (&) a letter of its own.

I'll use it from time to time as it was intended, but only in casual speech--never formal.

I know it represents the latin 'et', meaning 'and'. Who doesn't? It arose as a form of shorthand that stuck in common usage.

I can understand why it was removed from the English alphabet and have no quarrels over it's demotion.

Question: What are your thoughts on the ampersand as a letter of the alphabet?

____________________________________
Her Grace will have a soft spot for the ampersand but will not lend it any additional airs or graces.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea the ampersand was once an actual letter--how intriguing! I've always loved it's shape. When I lived in New York's Adirondack Mountains, my favorite place to go was Ampersand Mountain--not for the view but for the name! :)